The Episcopal Church of the Epiphany, established in 1886 as “a mission for colored people in the town of Blacks and Whites,” is seen in the background of this photograph from a 1906 publication of Hoge Memorial Military Academy -- the precursor to Blackstone Military Academy.
Cadets’ dress parades took place in front of the school’s main building that faced Academy Avenue where, on its east side between 2nd and 3rd streets, stood the church and its schoolhouse. The Vestry of St. Luke’s Parish was involved with the mission. A 1916 insurance map shows both of the buildings in place, and a later resident who lived on adjoining property recalled children at the school in the late 1920s.
To read more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition https://etypeservices.com/Blackstone%20Courier-RecordID458/