Old School Remembered
On Sunday, September 3rd, Mrs. Shirley R. Lee (2nd from right) presented a 1935 photo of the old Unity School to Unity Baptist Church in Kenbridge. She also shared a historical sketch of the school and other school-related information with the congregation. The Unity School was organized in 1873 through the efforts of Robert Harris, Joseph Ghee, Bannister Lee, and William Crawley. The school was named for Unity Baptist Church which was erected on the same site; however, the school was destroyed by fire in the late 1930s. A new two-room school was constructed in the early 1940s and remained in operation until it closed in the spring of 1962. This former schoolhouse still stands on its original site on Craig Mill Road, approximately five miles south of Kenbridge. Presently, it is used by its owner as a storage building for farm use. FROM LEFT: Deacon Jimmie Crowder, Rev. Alice C. Colbert, Mrs. Delbora H. Jones, Mrs. Shirley R. Lee, Rev. Ray A. Smith.